5/18/2008

While I'm Hating

Posted by Brandon |

While I'm ranting about my hatred of the fucking Eagles, I might as well tell you about my hatred of two other classic rock bands.

1. The Doors - I went through a phase where I was really trying to get into classic rock and one of the bands that I tried to like was The Doors. I blame my wanting to like The Doors on both the comparisons people made between Jim Morrison and Eddie Vedder (I loved Pearl Jam at the time) and the Oliver Stone movie.

At some point, I gave up. Even though I thought I should like them if I really was into rock, I just couldn't do it. I started to unabashedly hate The Doors and I still hate them today. I hate Jim Morrison's stupid lounge singer voice and I hate all the keyboard and I hate their whole drugged out persona and I hate that their idiot fans defaced Pere Lachaise Cemetery where Morrison is buried and I hate...well...everything about them.

God I hate The Doors.

2. Led Zeppelin - I never even attempted to like Led Zeppelin. I always knew that I hated them. And I know exactly why it is - Jimmy Page's Robert Plant's voice. Oh god it grates on my nerves unlike any other singer. And I can't take their bluesy stuff, it just pisses me off. There is one song in particular, and I don't even know what it's called, that makes me want to smash a radio every time it comes on. I used to have to listen to the classic rock station in Ventura and they played it at least once, maybe twice a day. I eventually had to leave the room and go to the bathroom or find something else to do when it came on or else I would've, sooner or later, jammed a handful of pencils in my ears.

My hatred of Led Zeppelin doesn't run as deep as my hate for the fucking Eagles or The Doors, I can at least understand why someone would like Led Zeppelin.

10 comments:

Dave2 said...

Never much cared for The Doors, but Led Zep? I'm not their biggest fan, by far, but some of their music is pretty incredible.

shiny said...

Do you mean Robert Plant's voice?

I don't have a hatred for either group as you do -- but I just don't get what the big deal is about either one of 'em. I don't find Jim Morrison's songs spiritual, and towards the end (which songs titled, ironically, "The End,") I felt that they were just rambling tirades that made no sense.

Oh, and "Immigrant Song" by Led Zep? Too screechy. I always thought that it sounded like someone trying to scream the theme to "Get Smart."

Amanda said...

I never got the big deal with Led Zeppelin, either. Robert Plant is exceptionally bad at singing.

Brandon said...

Dave - I will admit that there are a few songs that aren't bad by Zep. But as a whole, I think they are incredibly overrated. I don't get the worship.

Shiny - Yeah, I meant Robert Plant. Jimmy Page's voice is pretty bad as well, I'm sure.

Amanda - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Anonymous said...

My guitar teacher always told me I play like Jimmy Page. I never really liked Zep or The Doors though. You probably have to be a certain type of person to like The Doors. However, I do like the usage of "The End" in Apocalypse Now. That is about all.

Anonymous said...

Okay I undersand your hatred of the Eagles - I am sure it comes from the concert your dad and I went to when I was very pregnant with you. It was Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles at the King Dome in Seattle. It was very loud and the acoustics were horrible in the Dome. I could feel the music all the way through my body - I was hoping you wouldn't end up deaf even though I knew that wouldn't really happen. So I guess I can understand that the hatred of the Eagles came from long, long ago - even before you were born. I am sure it was the lousy acoustics in the dome. But I can't understand you not liking Led Zeppelin. I still like some of their music. And I do still like some of the Doors songs but some of it drives me cazy too.

Brandon said...

Mom - I forgot about my trip to see the fucking Eagles in utero. I knew there was a reason my hatred ran so deep.

marty mankins said...

BTW, both The Doors and Led Zep do not have a bass player, replaced by a keyboardist in each band. I would say that would be one of the reasons you hate both bands, but then the Eagles have a bass player, so that rules that theory out.

Zep... as you saw from my list of albums, I like them. Never seen them live, but grew up when their music was at the top of the heap.

Ginormous Boobs said...

I totally agree with you. Now I feel like I have to hide before the world punishes me.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I'm with you on the Doors. JM drives me crazy with annoyance. Terrible and completely over rated band in rock history.

Subscribe