5/28/2008

Return of The Number Eight

Posted by Brandon |

I like to bring this post back every once in a while, especially when I have some new readers. I just like to fly my freak flag, find out who is on my side and potentially alienate some new friends. Years after I wrote it, I'm still proud.

A couple of months ago I noticed that I write the number eight differently than most people. Instead of one single continuous line in a loop-de-loop, I write mine with two separate circles...




So I have been asking everybody I know how they write the number eight and so far I have yet to find anyone who draws their eights the same way I do. In fact, I have had to put up with a ton of ridicule from my co-workers, friends, family and even my fiance since confessing my difference. My education and upbringing have been questioned on numerous accounts. My self-esteem has been torn in shreds due to my newly acquired minority status.

But today I come out and announce to the world, "I draw the number eight with two circles, and I'm damn proud!" Screw all of you for making me feel bad about myself because I am different than you. I am proud of my difference and will continue to flaunt it. I plan on writing the number eight like I do for the rest of my life no matter what happens.

Besides, I am right. You may have learned some fucked up way from your awful elementary teachers long ago but when you type the number eight, what does it look like?

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

They look like two circles on top of each other to me. I suppose you are going to tell me that you continue to write in perfect cursive like you learned in elementary school. Has anybody ever written a "Z" like they were taught in cursive after the sixth grade? No, they haven't...and you shouldn't continue to write an eight in that ridiculous manner anymore either.

But whatever, you can't help it if you were brainwashed at an early age. Was I the only one smart enough to recognize it?

16 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I write my eights as one circle on top of another, but I think you will be sad to know the reason why. I think they look prettier and more girly that way.

Brandon said...

Michelle - I don't care why, I just care how. You're one of the good ones.

Anonymous said...

freak

kapgar said...

If I'm just writing, I do one solid line, but I go the opposite direction of what you show. Nobody understands why, least of all me.

However, if I'm writing something that needs to be read clearly or used as a display board or presentation material, I stack two Os on top of each other.

Anonymous said...

Hi! (I'm one of those new readers of which you speak) and I am a two circle girl all the way. Damn proud too.

For the record... as a DWP newbie... I would LOVE to know the story behind your wife's blog name.

Anonymous said...

B,

I too write my 8's as two stacked circles. I do this because in Jr High I took a drafting class and that shit had to be perfect. The teacher didn't stand for lopsided 8's.

More than 15 years later, I still write my 8's as two stacked circles. That lopsided stuff is for chumps!

Sizzle said...

It really depends on my mood- I make my number 8 both ways. I'm so sneaky! What about those people who put a loop in their 2 vs those who don't? The great debate!

therapy in the making said...

I write my 8's just like you do! I have noticed that not many people write it that way. Especially guys. I never understood why most guys have awful handwriting.

I am proud of my handwriting although I don't get to write often. I tend to type everything lately except for exams and lecture notes.

Brandon said...

Dan - Thanks!

Kapgar -

paintingchef - You're request has been duly noted. I'll give you the reason soon, especially since you are a two circles girl.

Grant - Ah, ha! You're drafting teach was a very smart man. You should go back and thank him.

Sizzle - Oh, don't even get me started on the loopy two people.

Colin - My handwriting stinks, but it isn't as bad as my wife's. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this blog when I was doing my daily Google search for "bacon salt."

Love it! Look forward to reading more entries.

Ginormous Boobs said...

I totally write my 8's like that.

AND I tie my shoes like a little kid. With two bows and then knot them together.

Brandon said...

beatniksquirrel - Ah...another aficionado of the Bacon Salt. Or are you an employee? If so, I'm moving to Seattle very soon. Need some help?

GB - The amount of people that write their 8's like I do has substantially gone up, I'm glad to hear it. But I never learned how to tie my shoes like you did, you're weird.

Anonymous said...

I definitely write my 8s as two individual circles. I can't stand having a gap in the top circle from the loop-de-loop.

Brandon said...

justinemarie - Oh boy, the gap. Yeah, I don't understand that either.

Radioactive Tori said...

I write my 8's the way you consider wrong. BUT my one daughter writes them how you do. That has to get me some credit, right?

Brandon said...

Radioactive girl - At least you are allowing her not to make the same mistakes as you. ;)

Subscribe