5/15/2008

Two States Down, 48 To Go

Posted by Brandon |

If you haven't heard the good news yet, the Supreme Court of California today overturned the ban on gay marriage. Yea! The sanctity of our marriage has finally been, well, sanctified now that many of our friends have the same rights as we do.

Death? and I were talking about this at lunch and she said "twenty years from now we'll look back and this and be amazed that it was ever an issue".

Personally, I don't think that will be the case. I think that gay marriage and other homosexual equal rights issues are going to be cyclical for years and years to come. I think that because so many Christians are (wrongly) feeling victimized these days, they will occasionally strike back and continue to strike back against these "moral" issues.

Gradually, slowly, things will improve, but I think it's going to take a long while and we'll never see homophobia as a taboo as much as racism is. It's going to be this slow burn, kind of like gender equality still is.

What do you think? Will we look back at this debate in twenty years and laugh? Will gay marriage end up sweeping the nation? Will man/goat love be next if it does?

6 comments:

dotlizard said...

i've always thought it was a little twilight zone that so many years after the civil rights movement, we still allowed the systematic legal persecution of a segment of our society. and the shocking arrogance of the religious reich as it fights against it - who exactly do they think they are, denying basic human rights to people that are different? it just seems so surreal -- and sadly, it's far from over.

i would love to disagree and say i had hopes to see the nation come together over this, but unfortunately i think you're absolutely right. it's going to be a long fight, and the opposition is all insane, and not in that good way...

Anonymous said...

I wrote about this on my own little weblog instead of commenting here since you used to tell me that my comments were too long.

Brandon said...

I have no problem with long comments, Jesse, go right ahead. I think I just thought it was funny since most comments are nothing more than "JCPenney eh".

marty mankins said...

I'm pretty happy with this decision. It's about time this right was extended to everyone, not just a select group that fits some people's definitions of what is allowed or acceptable. I commented over on my blog about this on my Scooter Sunday post.

My feelings on this are: I don't think it will be sweeping anytime soon. We will see a few other states here and there add either same-sex marriage or civil unions. But since 36 of the states already have passed amendments to their state constitutions (or similar laws), it's going to take some time to repeal those. The only big thing that would trump them all is a federal amendment, and the only one that's been proposed so far is one to ban gay marriage. But this is a step in the right direction.

Ginormous Boobs said...

I'm going to think positively here and say that we'll look back on this and laugh and laugh in 10 years.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

unfortunately, i don't think my state will be overturning it anytime soon. too many morons and right wingers here.

Subscribe