10/08/2006

What Brandon Likes

Posted by Brandon |

With apologies to Greg, here are two albums that have dominated my CD player over the past week...


The Killers: Sam's Town - I'm surprised that I haven't read more reviews about this album on the blogs that I read. I know a lot of you went out and picked it up immediately upon it's release just like I did. I couldn't be more impressed by this album. At first listen, I found it too dense, too layered and overly produced. But after a second listen, then a third listen, then a fourth, I ended up putting nearly every song onto my iPod. Almost every song on this album would make a great single. And Brandon Flowers voice has matured so much. He now sounds a lot like Roy Orbison if Roy were surrounded by awesome guitar hooks and synthesizers. I think Sam's Town is a classic, and I'm curious to hear what all of you think.


Solomon Burke: Nashville - I love Solomon Burke more than steak and gravy. His voice is so beautiful and perfect. His 2002 comeback album Don't Give Up On Me is near the top of my favorite albums ever and Nashville, a album of country standards by this classic bluesman, takes it's place right next to it. After hearing the first 30 seconds of the album's opener, That's How I Got To Memphis, I knew I would love this album. It's easy to forget nowadays with the advent of pop-country that gospel and country were once intertwined and grew up together. This is an amazing example of that gospel-country with Solomon singing these songs like they were his own. And his duet with Dolly Parton on Tomorrow Is Forever is surprising because their voices work so well with each other, like they had been singing together forever. While other albums and artists fade from my favor with time, I'd be willing to bet that this is an album I will be listening to 20 years from now.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

I haven't been impressed by the recent Killers songs I've heard, and I love their first album, but maybe I'll give it another chance.

Karl said...

I've only heard the first single off that new Killers album. Thought it was kinda so-so. Love their first album. Guess I'll have to listen to the entire new one and give it a shot. Some of my favorite albums took a while to grown on me.

Greg said...

Haha-- apology accepted.

The Killers is on my list, but like Avitar, I was skeptical of the new stuff. It really seems to be polarizing people. Some people really hate it. So while I'm not in a huge hurry, it's definitely on the list... my Christmas list, that is.

Solomon Burke, eh? Your review has really got me excited. I'll check it out the next time I have some cash on me and let you know what I think. Thanks, and keep up the good fight. (Wait, what does that mean?)

Anonymous said...

I've yet to hear anything off the new Killers album but everything I've heard (except from you) has is that it's terrible. Hell, there was a big article about it in the New York Times' art section one day that was basically flaming it.

I've personally been stuck on three albums in particular, all of which I doubt you'd like that much: Neutral Milk Hotel - "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea", The Long Winters - "Putting The Days To Bed" and The Decemberists - "The Crane Wife."

Actually, I think you'd like NMH (if you don't already that is); Jeff Mangum's lyrics are imaginative and thoughtful without being "wussy" like you say about Colin Meloy's. I'm not the first person to say it but "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is quite possibly the best album to come out of the 90s.

Subscribe