10/22/2006

I Want More Weekend

Posted by Brandon |

Have you ever not wanted to go to bed in the hopes that if you don't, the next day will never arrive? That's kind of the way I feel right now.

I had a pretty darn good weekend. I took Friday off with the wife and spent it at Disneyland. The last time we went we upgraded our 2-Day Park Hopper passes to Southern California Annual Passes for a mere four dollars each, so our trip on Friday was completely free. We got to ride the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion (awesome!) and the new Pirates of the Caribbean (not too bad) amongst others, but Fridays are awful days to go because at night the place fills up and is nearly impossible to maneuver. We left earlier than planned because we were so worn out by the crowds. It was more crowded than on Christmas Day, which is their busiest day of the year. Oh well, we had a good time anyway.

Saturday I watched college football all day and went to the Ventura College game that evening. Nothing special but nice and relaxing and quiet. Today we went to my company picnic at the Santa Monica Pier and then hung out on the Third Street Promenade before seeing The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D (super awesome!). All and all, a solid weekend of fun.

But the fun ends tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it. For the past two months me and my co-worker have been doing the work of four or more people and I have basically become the manager of our department despite not having attained the title and not getting fairly compensated for the role. Two weeks ago I finally hired a replacement for our customer service rep who left at the same time as my boss and I have been ecstatic ever since to finally get a little help. She was supposed to start on Monday, but on Friday afternoon I found out that she flaked on us and decided not to take the job. Figures. Nothing right has happened to this point, why should it start now?

So instead I have temp coming in on Monday and the search continues. This week we also launch our new order entry system and website, we have period end to manage, we have 25 pallets of holiday stock coming in that we have no room for and whatever other crazy crap the week can throw at the two and a half of us.

Like I said, I'm not ready for the week to begin. If I never go to sleep again then it will stay Sunday forever, right? Fuck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time... And yeah, that's the crappy think about weekends, isn't it? They only take place at the week-end... We should just have a 1 day working week, right?

Anonymous said...

I wrote out my complaint about my work situation and it ended up being so long I decided not to post it. The long and short of it is that after moving my group here, they've decided that my group is in charge of more than just SMS and I am now the only one doing SMS work. In a company my size, we should have at least four people working on it.

The kicker is that my manager has even said, almost verbatim, "I want the day-to-day SMS stuff to go away." As though I were some sort of fucking magician and could just make it disappear. If I could do that then I most definitely wouldn't be working for this company; Microsoft would certainly want my skills.

Whit said...

We're going to DL on Halloween and doing the whole costume thing with the boys, should be fun.

Was the 3-D as cool as it sounds?

I only get a 1 day weekend, so I really hate
Mondays.

Subscribe