6/06/2007

The Science of FUCK! THIS MOVIE SUCKS!

Posted by Brandon |

I was seduced by Death Cab for Cutie.

That's my only explanation for what I expected out of Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep. The trailer for this film, complete with Death Cab, suggested whimsy and an endearing romance similar in tone to Gondry's previous film, one of my favorites, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Instead I wasted two hours watching an arty farty piece of shit film made for the sake of arty farty piece of shit film.

I don't even want to get into explaining the plot or trying to analyze this film, I just want to exclaim loudly how much I hate it. Maybe even more than Punch Drunk Love, my least favorite film of all time, because The Science of Sleep starts out with potential. It sets up an interesting idea for a film in the first 30 minutes enough so that you continue watching hoping that interesting film eventually breaks through the crap. At least Punch Drunk Love was so bad that I was able to give up and cut my losses after half an hour.

Gael Garcia Bernal is hot. I'll admit it. But his character is so maddening that despite how good he looks you can't help but find him completely ugly. I didn't think it would be possible, but Gondry figured out how to do it.

And don't even get me started on Charlotte Gainsbourg. All I could think of when looking at her was the lady in the Daily Show sketch, Civil Lights. Ewww.

I guess what I'm trying to say is The Science of Sleep blows. If I could stop even one person from renting this movie, all of the work I've poured into this blog will be worth it.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

You didn't like Punch Drunk Love? I love that movie.

MC said...

Thanks for the heads-up

MC

Anonymous said...

The Science of Blogging - you get to take movies out of your Netflix queue after someone totally hates them ;)

Brandon said...

Avitable - Nope and I can't understand why anybody would like it. Please explain. I'm confused.

MC - No problem, that's what I'm here for.

Narnarnarnar - About half way through I just wanted to put both of them in to a mental health facility. That's where they belong.

Hilly - I'm so happy I could do my part.

Subscribe