4/02/2007

I'm Back

Posted by Brandon |

April Fool's, I guess. I suppose I will stick it out one more day. Here's a music meme from Dave via Frances Danger that might get me going again...

  1. Of all the bands & artists in your collection, of which one do you own the most albums?
    Without actually counting, either The Beatles, Johnny Cash or Ben Folds. Maybe even Built To Spill.
  2. What was the last song you listened to?
    Hong Kong Garden by Siouxsie & the Banshees off the Marie Antoinette soundtrack.
  3. What's in your CD player right now?
    Demetri Martin's These Are Jokes. It's like having a new Mitch Hedberg CD from the grave.
  4. What are your favorite instruments?
    I love horns in songs. I don't know if I would say that it is my favorite instrument, a guitar would probably be my favorite, but horns make anything better.
  5. Who's your favorite local artist/band?
    I only know of a couple local bands and I can't say that I was all that impressed enough to say they were my favorite.
  6. What was the last show you attended?
    Willie Nelson at the Hollywood Bowl, which was a great show in a great setting, but it seems like I've been to something since then.
  7. What was the greatest show you've ever been to?
    Solomon Burke at the Bumbershoot Blues Stage in 2003. I had only ever seen or heard Solomon Burke once before on Conan O'Brien so we weren't totally sure what we were going to get. Then he came out and made everybody dance, charmed the pants off everybody and just blew away any concert we had ever seen. He made me a lifelong fan that night. Hot Hot Heat and Weezer at the Santa Barbara Bowl is a distant second.
  8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?
    Having grown up watching crappy Olympia bands at the Capitol Theater, it's hard to figure out what the worst band I ever saw was, there were some horrendous performances. The worst big band I ever saw was The Spin Doctors. They never managed to get on key.
  9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?
    I can't think of any bands like that, but I can think of a band that I hate but I love a member of. Rilo Kiley. I hate, for the most part, their music but I love Jenny Lewis' voice so much I end up listening anyway. I can't help myself.
  10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
    I was in choir in high school. Does that count? I actually quit jazz choir my senior year because I didn't want to sing Grease.
  11. What show are you looking forward to?
    I was looking forward to seeing Los Amigos Invisibles here in Ventura in May, but we are now going to be out of town, in New York, which is much better. Other than that, I can't think of any show this summer that I'm excited about. Getting tickets to anything in LA is such a hassle that I don't even care about going to shows here.
  12. What is your favorite band shirt?
    The only band t-shirt I have anymore is a Built To Spill t-shirt that is just ok.
  13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
    Solomon Burke
  14. What musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?
    Residente of Calle 13 and so would my wife.
  15. What was your last musical "phase" before you wised up?
    Either ska or swing.
  16. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
    Ozzy.
  17. Did you know that filling out this meme makes you a music geek?
    Yep.
  18. What was the greatest decade for music?
    The 90's?
  19. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
    Hedwig and the Angry Inch or Snatch or The Life Aquatic.
  20. Who is your favorite artist who is much better live than on a recording?
    His albums are incredible, but you don't quite get the charm and charisma of Solomon Burke until you have seen him live.
  21. Do you have a hidden desire to be a popular musician?
    Hell yeah. Not enough to actually practice and become good but I definitely would love to be huge.
  22. Have you ever used drugs to enhance the music experience?
    Nope, not even at a laser show.
  23. What was the last song you heard that gave you a chill?
    There are a couple of songs off the new Modest Mouse CD that are so good that they get me going, but I don't know if they give me a chill necessarily.
  24. Where would you be without music?
    Salt Lake City, Utah

By the way, Ohio State sucks! Woo Hoo!!! Ohio State lost, again! I hate that it has to be Florida doing all the dirty work, but nothing makes me happier than seeing an Ohioan cry, so I'll take it.

5 comments:

Avitable said...

I hear you on the Jenny Lewis thing.

Dave2 said...

Demetri Martin is funny... but my favorite part of his act is his flip-charts, which would seem to be difficult to convey on CD?

Lisa Snider said...

Sanjaya or Daughtry?

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

the 90s was a terrible decade for rock music!

Brandon said...

Avitable and Snackie - I hoped that her solo album would be better, but it had some really good songs and some huge stinkers. I so wish her songwriting was better because her voice is like butter.

Dave - The CD came with a DVD with his Comedy Central special and despite the special being very funny, the CD tops it even without flip charts.

Lisa - I didn't think Sanjaya was so bad this last episode and I can't say that I have even heard a Daughtry song. I'm not a big Idol fan.

Replicant - I'm a child of the 90's. I know that there were some horrible things that happened to rock in the 90's but my favorite songs and bands all came from that decade. The 80's has never done much for me.

Subscribe