11/29/2006

MC's The Buyer's Remorse of a Music Lover

Posted by Brandon |

MC over at Culture Kills... wants to know what albums in your collection you're embarrassed to own. I quickly flipped through my collection and realized that there isn't anything too disgusting. The bad albums that I own aren't embarrassing, they just suck and the albums that are embarrassing typically have something going for them that make me own them. But I did find a few albums that just don't seem to fit in. They aren't necessarily bad, they just seem really strange in my collection.

1. Ludacris - Word of Mouf: Thankfully, I didn't buy this album. When I worked in baseball one of the ballplayers gave it to me to record their at-bat intro music and for whatever reason I never gave it back to him. The only reason I keep this CD around is because of the comedic quality of "Area Codes" and "Saturday". Other than that, it's beyond awful and perhaps the worst album to ever have to record for baseball intro music. It took me quite some time and some creative editing, but, unfortunately, I did finally find a clean 30 seconds to record.

2. Tom Lehrer - Songs & More Songs and That Was the Year That Was: I love both of these albums. They are very funny, well-written and enjoyable. But they are perhaps the most different and and non-conforming albums in my collection. 50's era political satire by a Harvard graduate and his piano? A little weird considering the share a page in my book with Talib Kweli.

3. Black Eyed Peas - Behind the Front and Bridging the Gap: Again, both albums are killer. There are some incredible songs on both of these albums including "Falling Up", "Joints and Jams" and "Weekends". But they are now almost unlistenable because of what has become of Black Eyed Peas and it's embarrassing to me to have ever been a fan. Anybody that helped launch "Fergielicious" is just plain wrong even if she wasn't with the group at the time.

4. Hootie and the Blowfish - Fairweather Johnson: I rescued this CD from destruction when it came into the offices of my college radio station KGRG. The punks got it, threw it on the ground and were ready to stomp it to little bits had I not stepped in. I hate to admit it, but I enjoyed the first Hootie album and I was willing to give it a chance. But Hootie mumbled even more than before and this album turned out to be a major stinker. I only recently found it amongst a bunch of old jewel cases after nearly ten years in the closet.

5. Jamiroquai - Traveling Without Moving: Another really good album featuring "Virtual Insanity" and "Cosmic Girl". The reason that I am embarrassed about this album is because when it came out I boldly predicted to anybody who would listen that Jamiroquai would end up being massive stars. They have since released two more albums but neither caught anyone's attention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can still listen to "Weekends". It is the only Black Eyed Peas song I ever really liked.

Greg said...

I don't know, some of that new Black Eyed Peas/Fergie stuff is off the hizz-ook!!

[Greg pauses for some uncomfortable white guy break-dancing]

Boo yah! Who's with me?

Subscribe