11/21/2006

I'm Actually Late With The Christmas Decorations

Posted by Brandon |

Now that the Christmas season is upon us, you know, in November (actually, it started around the Fourth of fucking July this year) I felt it was time for me to decorate this little blog of mine for the holidays. I've never done a special template so I decided to go massively tacky, that's just my way. I'm a little bummed that I couldn't find icicle lights for the White House.

I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas, as most everybody does. When you work in retail (or a mail order department) it's hard to get too excited about the holidays. I'll be busting my ass at work for the next month because of Christmas, please excuse me if I get a little bah humbuggy.

And it doesn't help that some of my favorite things about Christmas are being ruined. I love the 24 hours of A Christmas Story. I could watch that movie on Christmas Eve and Christmas all 24 hours. It kills me every time. "Not a finger" is one of my all-time favorite movie quotes and hearing it 15 times really ties the holiday together for me.

But some frigging cell phone company has taken that movie and bastardized it to sell phones to kids. "You'll shoot your eye out" has been changed to "You'll run the bill up" and every time I hear it, my soul hurts. If I ever meet that asshole at Cingular that came up with that idea, I'll beat him like he was Scut Farkus. Thanks for cheapening one of my favorite parts of Christmas.

But I do love Christmas despite all of the crap that goes along with it. I have a very fun and generous family and Christmas Eve has always been a massive event. My grandpa grew up very poor and never got jack squat, so when he could afford it he went all out for his kids on Christmas and the tradition has continued to this day. Christmas means a lot for our family not because we are religious. In fact, we aren't religious at all, far from it. But it means a lot because of how much we value each other as family and it's nice to get together and celebrate at least once year.

So there is my motivation to get through this otherwise stressful and frustrating period. The payoff of Christmas is all worth the hassle. Plus, my holiday template is really cheesy and cool and will cheer me up no matter how many customers piss me off at work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that looks great... will us players be receiving special Fantasy Football League Christmas Gifts in all, from the League Owner? Just asking...

Olivia Twist said...

I like the template. :-)

Subscribe