8/14/2006

Tell It To Me Tuesday (On a Monday)

Posted by Brandon |

Since it is Tuesday already where Janet lives, I'll have to do my Tell It To Me Tuesday on Monday so I can be the first to take her awesome Tuesday series blogworldwide. Today's topic is "What are some songs you can listen to over and over and what do you think it is about these songs that makes them so special?"

Great question, here are ten (or so) songs that I never grow tired of in no particular order. There are many more, but this is a start....

  1. Common People - William Shatner featuring Joe Jackson - I know, Shatner? There is something about his dry delivery and Jackson's impassioned singing that just make this song work and whenever it comes on, I belt it out like I was doing the duet with Shatner myself.

  2. Pressure Drop - The Specials - Happy, poppy and fun. An instant pick-me-up.

  3. Johnny Appleseed - Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - There is something so beautiful about this simple, political song. Near perfection.

  4. Bring The Noise - Unholy Trinity - Country cover of Public Enemy classic. I can't even explain why I like this so much.

  5. Ana Ng, Birdhouse In Your Soul, Don't Let's Start - They Might Be Giants - The holy trinity of music geekiness. Each one has the ability to instantly cheer me up.

  6. The Good Life - Weezer - Jokingly referred to as my theme song.

  7. Hot For Teacher - Van Halen - "I brought my pencil..."

  8. The Irony Of It All - The Streets - Hilarious and true. He poses no threat to your city.

  9. Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset - Modest Mouse - Takes me back to my short time as a DJ in college doing the 2-6 AM shift. About 4:30 I would put on one of these six, seven minute Modest Mouse songs and just space out. This is the best of them.

  10. The Commander Thinks Aloud - The Long Winters - This song sucks, big time. But that's why I love it. The lyrics are ridiculous but he sings them with such feeling that I can't help but sing at the top of my lungs along with him every time it comes on.

  11. Anything by Hot Hot Heat - New album coming out later this year, I for one cannot wait.

8 comments:

DutchBitch said...

OK I need serious rockmusic tutoring... My mind is a blank on ALL of those...

Janet said...

Thanks for being the first to participate! You could have answered on Tuesday, btw:) I just posted it shy of midnight because I was tired for some reason last night.

I realize the explanation of how to participate was a little vague. I'm still learning myself!

Oh and The Good Life is an awesome song.

Sayre said...

I guess I get to be #2 (on Janet's list, silly).

Interesting list... I don't think I'm a rock fan any more, but I will definitely have to check out the Shatner song. I love William Shatner more and more as time goes on (I was a die-hard Star Trek fan in my youth).

Webmiztris said...

for me it's everything on the Tenacious D CD. I can listen to that one OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

Greg said...

Oh-ho, yes, "The Good Life" is a permanant favorite. So is "Getchoo" from the same CD.

And I'll be standing right behind you in line when the new HHH comes out. Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Shatner?

What about his Rocket Man? Wait. No. Mr. Tambourine Man...

Here's a link:

http://www.penduluminc.com/cdart/shatner.htm

Brandon said...

Dutchy - They are kind of obscure songs. But Hot For Teacher? I can't believe you don't know that one!

Janet - I posted on Monday because I wanted to be the first one. I don't know if I will always participate, but I'll be in when I can. The sheer amount of traffic today was great. Thanks!

Sayre - The whole Shatner CD is an interesting listen.

Kevin - "Class Dismissed!"

Miztris - Can you believe I have never listened to a Tenacious D album. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I'll have to check it sometime.

Greg - Getchoo doesn't do anything for me, one of the only songs off Pinkerton not on my list.

Anonymous said...

Shakin Booty, Makin' Sweet love all the night, it's time you got back to the good life.
And it's time I got back.
Take me to Vegas, Baby! See you soon.
Love and Kisses,
Death?

Subscribe