8/09/2006

Am I About To Get A Promotion?

Posted by Brandon |

It's been a roller coaster of a week what with all of the ups and down involved with a dead car and a new car. But I was unprepared for yet another shocker today that has far reaching implications for my career.

My boss, the head of our department, resigned today. She leaves in two weeks. She will continue to work in a transition role once a week for an undetermined amount of time, but basically, my job is becoming her job until they can fill it permanently. Knowing my place of employment, this could be months, maybe even years.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for the job. I don't know if I am actually qualified, but nobody else knows that department better than I do. I'm sure that I could do the job, I could do just about any job if need be. I just don't know if I want to do the job. She basically left the company because she was burned out and she had an opportunity to take a job that wouldn't burn her out. I'm not one who is interested in doing a job that has major potential to burn me out. I don't stay late. I value my free time too much. But for a major pay raise and huge step forward in my career, maybe it would be worth it.

I don't know. I kind of doubt I would be hired, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted someone with a proven track record to take over. I know that my co-workers want me to take over, but that's just because I'll be easy to get along with. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Would you want me as a manager?

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

What's your job function? I, too, may be seeing a promotion in my near future. I almost feel sorry for my unsuspecting future peons.

Karl said...

Would there be Margarita Mondays and Naked Fridays? If so, then YES.

Subscribe