1/16/2006

The Dump Of All Dumps

Posted by Brandon |

Five college basketball games in one week. Can it get any better than that? This past week was jam packed full of college basketball in the area and I took full advantage. On Monday I saw UC Irvine beat UC Santa Barbara. On Thursday it took me two and a half hours to go 60 miles, but I was still able to see the Washington Huskies knock off Southern Cal. On Saturday I saw the Huskies turn in a gutsy performance to beat UCLA in LA for the first time since the late 80's. And later that night we watched the men's and women's Ventura College teams beat up on Oxnard by a combined score of 177-85. Ouch!

But let's go back to the Huskies vs. Southern Cal game. As long as I can remember when anybody talked about the Clippers or USC basketball they had to mention how big a dump the Los Angeles Sports Arena is. Despite this, I wasn't completely prepared for just how big of a disaster the Sports Arena is. It is a colossal, monumental, apocalyptic hole of a building with no redeeming value, even more so since it is home to those bastards at USC.

There is just too much wrong with this building to go into. So let's hit a couple of highlights. One of my favorite features of the building is that they spared no expense on the technology. Thanks to Zenith, I won't miss even a minute of the game while grabbing a fifteen year old hot dog.



Nothing says efficient crowd management like stairs to nowhere. Gee that's funny, for some reason I thought those stairs might lead to an exit. Instead, all three thousand fans in attendance are forced up one escalator. I do commend them for posting someone at the foot of those stairs. It was a big surprise they would go to such lengths in their customer service.


There are two good things about the Sports Arena. Since USC stinks at basketball and the Sports Arena is such a dump, nobody bothers to show up including the ushers, so you can pretty much sit anywhere you like. I plopped down right behind the Huskies bench since the ticket I was sold was smack dab in the middle of the spoiled children that they call a student section.


And finally, the only other good thing about the Sports Arena...the USC Song Girls! Damn crappy digital camera!


I once wrote a review about a pizza place in which I said that eating there was worth it because it's not everyday you get to eat the worst pizza in the world. I feel pretty much the same way about the Sports Arena. It's not everyday you get to see a game in the crappiest arena in the country. Thankfully the building will be put out of its misery next season when USC opens the Galen Center on campus. That should be great for their 25 faithful fans.

0 comments:

Subscribe