1/21/2006

Bandwagon Brandon

Posted by Brandon |

Gooooooooo Seahawks!!!

Yeah, I said it. I'm officially jumping on the Seattle Seahawks bandwagon. I even bought myself a t-shirt when I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago just in case of this day. It is probably my first Seahawks t-shirt since I was ten years old. But with the team of my childhood only one game away from the Super Bowl, I figure there is no time like the present to put my hard feelings against the Seahawks aside and openly root for them on Sunday.

Growing up watching the Seahawks was tough. As a youngster I was a big fan. It helped that they had memorable players like Steve Largent, Curt Warner, Jacob Green and Kenny Easley because even with those greats they were never able to put it all together to make a meaningful run at a Super Bowl.

After coach Chuck Knox retired and the Nordstrom's sold the team, everything went downhill. They became the laughingstock of the NFL for a couple of seasons and then eventually rose to the ranks of merely mediocre seemingly going 8-8 every single season, boring the living piss out of me along the way. For nearly 15 years, the Seahawks have barely ever entered into my consciousness.

But these past few weeks have been different. I followed the team from a distance all year keeping a cautious eye on them ready for their inevitable collapse. When they didn't fall apart, I was amazed. So I decided to give them a chance. It helps that I am a transplanted Washingtonian living in California and I am more inclined to wear my hometown pride on my sleeve. If they win, I want to gloat to these Cali fools and I can't do that without being on the bandwagon.

But this is the Seahawks last chance. I don't even care if they win the Super Bowl, this game is what is important. If they win they can keep a permanent place for me on the bandwagon. Lose and it is over between us. I don't think I can take any more of their crap.

Anyway, Goooooooo Seahawks!

0 comments:

Subscribe