7/01/2005

My Today

Posted by Brandon |

Today was a weird day. It feels like nothing happened today and yet so much has. Being unemployed will do that to you.

It started out with a job interview. I interviewed at Technicolor in Camarillo for a customer service/data entry position that, quite honestly, sounds pretty boring. But the pay is really good for that kind of work so needless to say, I'm very interested in the position. It's a temp-to-hire job so even if I decide I hate it they won't be too heartbroken if I leave.

Technicolor is crazy! I've only ever worked in really small, rinky-dink business that have very few rules. So going into Technicolor, a massive corporation with many trade secrets, was very different. You have to pass through security twice, first when you arrive and again when you leave. They don't do a very thorough inspection when you come in but when you leave they practically strip search you. The plant in Camarillo transfers and produces DVD's for major motion picture companies so they must be protecting against anyone stealing advance copies. Anyway, it was very odd and kind of a culture shock to me.

Then I came home and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited for the DSL guy to show up so he could fix this mess that is our modem. Actually, he called and left a message while I was gone and let me know he was going to be late. That, at least, was a step in the right direction for a phone company. I was impressed with that kind of service. Finally he showed up at 1:30. 8-12 my butt! Thankfully it was just the modem that was messed up and he got us a new one and went on his way.

Death? started her residency for real today and was at work already 12 hours when she called and told me she had no idea when she would get to leave. So I had to entertain myself. Luckily one of the other HOD's (husband of doctor) called and decided to have an impromptu barbecue and Halo 2 session. I've never played XBox before so I was completely lost and was beaten brutally in the competitions we had. My game playing skills topped out at Super Nintendo. I can kick anyone's ass in Super Tecmo Bowl, but give me a controller with one hundred buttons on it and I can't do anything. I spent half the game looking at the walls.

But getting whooped in XBox was an excuse to get out of the house and actually have some social human contact. When you don't have a job, live in a new city and have no money at all, it's very easy to start feeling stir-crazy and I definitely have been feeling that at times this week despite keeping myself pretty busy.

0 comments:

Subscribe