12/16/2004

Worse Than A Microsoft Party

Posted by Brandon |

This week Death? (my fiance for everybody who is new. I'm Cake...our geocaching name is Team Cake or Death? in reference to the great Eddie Izzard) is interviewing for family practice residency programs here in Seattle. What this means for me is that I have been dragged to two dinners this week where applicants can meet the current residents in a more casual setting and pick their brains and see if they would like the program and be a good fit. Of course this means a lot of medical and hospital talk which isn't really my cup of tea.

If you've never been to a medical school party, then let me describe it to you this way. At another party I went to a few years ago a fellow non-medical student and former Microsoft employee said "med student parties are worse than Microsoft parties." Now I have never been to a Microsoft party but when I think of one pain shoots from the front of my brain, down my spinal cord, kicks me in the crotch and then makes my feet just give way and I fall down and ball myself into the fetal position and start crying.

Some parties have been pretty bad, it's true. When you put 50-100 med students into the same room and only sprinkle in a handful of non-med students chances are most of us non-med students will end up learning how to sleep with our eyes wide open. I'm starting to get pretty good at this, I've had lots of practice.

But please, worse than a Microsoft party? I have my doubts. At the very least, the med school parties are well catered. Tonight we had some outstanding Thai food, good beer and wine, some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted and ice cream. What I think I would get at a Microsoft party is Cheetos, Mountain Dew and leftovers from the afternoon run to Chotchkie's.

0 comments:

Subscribe