12/22/2008

I'm Over The Snow

Posted by Brandon |


The above picture by fuzzirella (stolen from Flickr) just about sums up my feelings on Snowmagedden 2008. It was pretty for a little bit and I'll admit that taking the body board and sledding down the hill in front of our house was pretty fun, but I haven't left downtown Edmonds since last Monday and it's starting to drive me crazy. Luckily we have a supermarket and restaurants and shopping within a couple blocks so I'm not completely cutoff from the outside world, although the stroller didn't make it out of the driveway today so going out with Addie didn't happen.

We've got seven inches on the ground, and though that doesn't sound like much to many people, you wouldn't believe how it shuts down an entire region when we aren't equipped for this kind of weather. Major roads are starting to get cleared off, but many of the side streets are still so bad that chains are required for anything less than 4WD. We're supposed to go to Olympia tomorrow night for Christmas but my parents have 18 inches on the ground and their driveway (it's up a hill and into the woods) was impassable for normal vehicles today. There was a bit of a melt today, but we're supposed to get more snow tomorrow night, possibly 1-3 inches right around 5:00 or 6:00 PM. Great!

Look, I love living in Seattle but I was going through my pictures on Flickr and found this one from Christmas Eve last year...


I'm not saying that I want to be back in California again and being with family at Christmas is wonderful, but it does look pretty good, doesn't it? On the beach with perfectly clear weather on Christmas Eve, what's not to like about that? Death?, pregnant as could be, even waded out into the ocean a little bit that day. It was an awesome day all around.

We're a long ways from that here in downtown Edmonds, though if this stuff melts off quickly, it might look like an ocean in my neighborhood.

7 comments:

jonb (juan grande) said...

Good find on the photo.

I grew up with white christmases and I have to admit, I kinda miss them.

That said, I am over the hype and terror that the snow has caused the PNW. I--like you--am ready to return to normalcy.

Sizzle said...

I like the *idea* of snow but actual snow? I am learning that no, I am not a fan. It's totally getting in the way of too many people's holiday plans and that's bumming me out. I've had to come up with a Plan B just to get to my mom's house which is 20 mins away. It's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I know it's not much of a consolation, but we're expecting rain on Christmas here in the frozen tundra of Southern California.

Unknown said...

I'm a little tired of being kept in such a tight loop around our place -- we're not even sure how we're going to get groceries tomorrow if the roads are that bad. Our plan was to see a movie and eat Chinese food on Xmas Day, but not sure if we'll be able to drive anywhere.

Ted found a story on the Seattle Times site where WADOT said outright that they don't use salt b/c of the environment and they're intentionally trying to compact the snow/ice...thinking it will make it easier to drive on. ugh...

jmack151 said...

it wasnt wsdot....just the city of seattle. hows that workin out mayor nickels?

Justin Scott said...

Just a couple of days into the snow... I was already on a plane to california hahaha. It was totally worth it.

marty mankins said...

Your ice storm and shitloads of snow put our normal snow fall to shame. Hope it's all been safe up there for you.

Subscribe