11/05/2007

Tick Tock

Posted by Brandon |

My biological clock is certainly ticking.

If you haven't heard yet, we are almost 90% sure that we are having a girl. I was so proud of my little girl, she was very modest and ladylike during the ultrasound and kept her legs crossed making it hard to 100% be certain, but everybody pretty much agreed that she's a she.

Anyway, tonight at soccer one of my teammates brought her kids. An almost five year old daughter and a eight or nine year old son. Well, I wore my Blogography Bad Monkey t-shirt to the game - it's turned out to be my soccer uniform - and the boy noticed it right away and started calling me Bad Monkey. Soon, the little girl picked it up from her brother and started calling me Bad Monkey too.

Just before halftime the other team scored a goal on me that I probably should've stopped. I was pissed at myself something fierce and when the half ended I came to the sideline steaming, I seriously wanted to punch something. But as soon as I got to the sideline, the little girl started talking to me and calling me Bad Monkey again. It was so cute that my hard heart melted and I was immediately put into a good, upbeat mood and was once again ready to play some soccer.

Now, I know that not everyday with kids is going to be cute and cuddly, but it's moments like being uplifted by a cute little kid voice calling you a Bad Monkey that I'm sure will make the annoying times totally melt away.

It reminded me of something that our host up in Edmonds said to me last week. We were talking about Death? being pregnant and how excited I was to be a dad and he said to me that "you think you know what you are getting into and what to expect before you have your first child, but then you have it..." and I expected him to say something funny or cynical or sarcastic. Instead he said "but then you have her and it's even better than you ever expected. You sit there at work sometimes and all you can think about is how much you can't wait to get home." At this statement, I had to fight back tearing up, I think I was successful, but it was tough. I couldn't believe it.

Needless to say, I'm really excited. We only have 3 1/2 months left and since there are so many holidays in between, it's really only going to feel like a couple weeks. I'm trying to keep on an even keel and maybe Death? would say I'm doing too good of a job doing so, but in actuality, I can't wait and I can barely contain it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true, it's good to be dad.

Dave2 said...

It's all cute until you start acting like a REAL Bad Monkey and throwing your poo at them. Being a Bad Monkey gives you the excuse to do lots of things like that which you normally could get away with!

Anonymous said...

It's so sweet that you are so excited about being a Daddy. Ok, I will stop pouring gush on you now, but awwwww!

Yaniv said...

Being a dad is great. Especially if your wife will let you get away with not changing the poop diapers. And, if she does, could you let me know how you did it?

Anonymous said...

Ah, finally the pressure of being the good son will be removed from my shoulders. No longer will our parents and grandparents pester me for a baby. Thank you.

Peeved Michelle said...

You might be interested in checking out the list I made on Amazon of all the things that have really been useful since the baby came.

Brandon said...

Dan - I'm glad to hear it!

Dave2 - Now that you mention it, I did have the urge fling some poo. But like I said in my previous post, I threw out my arm so the Bad Monkey had to take a backseat to the Injured Monkey.

Hilly - You aren't the only one that I heard that from today but you are the only one to pour gush on me.

RTK - Babies poop? Is that a problem? I just gotta make sure I don't wear my Bad Monkey t-shirt while changing her.

Jesse - Ah, you don't like being the good son? Why doesn't that surprise me?

Michelle - Thanks for the list! I almost forgot about Butt Paste.

Subscribe