7/25/2006

Last Comic Standing

Posted by Brandon |

Oh my god, I can't believe what I just did. I, for the first time ever, participated in the voting process for a reality TV show. I couldn't help myself. Three of the comics pissed me off, so I had to make sure that I at least threw my vote behind the one that didn't. You can't complain if you don't exercise your rights, right?

So I voted for Josh Blue all five times. He was the only one that brought anything funny or original to the party. Michelle Balan wasn't funny, she never has been. Chris Porter said a few things that just didn't make any sense. And Ty Barnett was actually really funny and I was going to give him at least a couple votes, but then he ripped off The Daily Show with a joke about bum-vertising. It was a funny joke, but the idea was so far from original that I was shocked.

What I like about Josh is that when he performs it sounds like he is out there having an unrehearsed conversation with the audience rather than doing a routine. All of the others sound like they took Comic 101. It feels like Olympic ice skating where you know what elements they have to do and you know they are going to do them, you just have to wait to see how they pull them off.

Josh does a few too many Cerebral Palsey jokes, he could be funny without relying on those. But he always leaves me wanting to hear more. He's off-the-cuff and interesting, the others are not at all. Plus he got his start while attending The Evergreen State College doing open-mic nights in Olympia. I'll vote for any non-embarrassing former Olympia resident for the sake of community pride.

I just wrote a blog post about a reality show that I swore off a month ago. I think I need a shower.

1 comments:

Karl said...

Dude, voting on a reality show? It's a slippery slope from here, my friend.

Subscribe