6/07/2005

Spirit Magazine

Posted by Brandon |

I don't fly a whole lot so I can't exactly call myself an expert, but in my humble opinion, Spirit Magazine, the in-flight magazine for Southwest Airlines, has to be the top in-flight magazine that there is. It's really interesting, well written, hip and entertaining and it makes flying Southwest at least somewhat palatable.

Hell, the issue that I took from the airplane I would consider one of the best magazines that I have ever read. I've almost read it from cover to cover now and there isn't a stinker article in the bunch. I originally took it just so I could have their list of Top 50 soundtracks of all time (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou comes in first, followed by the American Beauty score, The Fog of War, Pulp Fiction and Rushmore). But there is also a great article about Chicago and all of it's vintage places to visit that I wish I would have had when I went there earlier this year (including Southport Lanes which features pins that have to be reset by hand, one of only 10 in the country), a quick but interesting history of Las Vegas and a fascinating interview with GoDaddy.com's Bob Parsons.

It really is a quality magazine if you can look beyond all of the advertisements for Barry Manilow and Celine Dion. I wish there was a magazine like it on the market right now. Most of the magazines like it somehow manage to insult your intelligence or make it impossible for a married man to read (Maxim, FHM, Playboy, etc...). Anyway, make sure you pick it up if you fly Southwest because it is, sadly enough, the highlight of any Southwest Airlines flight.

P.S...I personally think that Maxim magazine is a joke by gay men making fun of just how stupid and meatheaded straight men are. But that's just my opinion.

0 comments:

Subscribe