Thanks to Dave for this suggestion and thanks to all the other Twatters for their ideas. I should just do Twitter ideas for all my posts. Or start blog fights. That would be fun too.

10. No pressure to go to the beach - Living in a little beach community like Ventura, I feel that there is always pressure - whether it comes from outside sources or in my own head - to go to the beach. It's just a couple miles away and it's almost always warm enough outside to go. Well, to be honest, I've kind of realized that I'm not a big beach person. I don't like the hassle of getting all sandy and lugging all the crap down there and sitting out in the sun for hours. It does nothing for me. I like that it's there and have no problem going occasionally, but I don't want to feel pressured to go. Thankfully, in Seattle, there is no pressure to go to the beach because there are no beaches. Darn.

9. Gorditos - Without question, I will miss the cornucopia of cheap Mexican food that you can find in any city here in Southern California, particularly Jim & Rob's Fresh Grill in Ventura. But, I still haven't found a burrito anywhere down here that I like as well as a Gordito's burrito. And now they have a location near the Everett Events Center where I plan to take in many hockey games. Perfect!

8. Every other car isn't a BMW or Mercedes Benz - Ok, so every other car in Seattle is either a Prius or a Subaru, but those are more my people.

7. Meth - Pretty self explanatory.

6. The ability to hike and explore without fear - We didn't do much hiking around here or spend that much time in the great outdoors because of a handful of reasons. First and foremost, the heat. The best hiking is done up in the mountainous areas where it routinely gets above 90 degrees. No thanks. When we did go do some exploring one time, hiking up a crazy trail in Arroyo Verde park, Death? got poison oak and was miserable for weeks. That put a monkey wrench in our geocaching. Plus, I'm not big into the possibilty of running into rattlesnakes. In the PNW, there are trees and shade and it stays cools and there are no scary plants or snakes to chase us off.

5. Real trees - Palm trees suck. I need big ass evergreen trees, thank you very much.

4. Our rental house in Edmonds - I'm still totally stoked about our place in Edmonds. It's right down in the little downtown core and is walkable to virtually everything that we need. There's a city park a block away, a supermarket a block away, downtown is 1/2 mile away, the waterfront is 1/2 mile away, train to Seattle 3/4 mile away. It should be a lot of fun.

3. Seasons - Is it summer? Seriously, I can't tell the difference sometimes. I miss getting excited for summer like other people do. All it does here is get about 10 degrees warmer and that's it. I like the rain, I like the cold, I like wearing sweaters and coats, I like feeling a little depressed about the gray skies. It makes the nice days that much more sweeter. You just don't get that here.

2. The Northwest is who I am - I don't even know how to describe it but I'm a Northwest kind of person. It's just who I am. I'm the most comfortable with myself there.

1. Family - My whole family is in the Northwest and I miss them very much. I want my little girl to grow up around them and for them to get to help her grow up. I also think the Northwest is a much better place for a child to be raised. At the very least, she'll have to wear far more clothing most of the time.

10 comments:

Dave2 said...

So is the meth quality in Washington better than California or something? I guess that's something to look forward to... I wouldn't know, because I cook up my own, where the quality is always excellent!

Juanita said...

Trees! Yeah, you just made me want to move to Seattle.

Amber said...

I've been to Seattle once before when I was a newbie teenager. Didn't really get to explore, unfortunately :(.

I LOVE the Pacific Northwest, though. Once I get my RN, I fully intend on living in Seattle for at least a little while! It's GORGEOUS!

I don't blame you in the slightest for not being able to wait to get back there.

Best of luck with the move!

Miss Britt said...

I hate Southern California. Hate.

But I'm not really a Suburban kind of people either.

Peeved Michelle said...

But it is so much easier to go without pants here.

The last time I went to the beach, in the traditional sense of sitting in the sand and going in the water, I was in high school.

Anonymous said...

I actually really enjoyed visiting Ventura - maybe I wouldn't like living there but the PNW has been on average 8 degrees cooler than normal this year. Gardening has been horrible - virtually nothing survived the crap weather. So for me the warmth was heaven in Ventura. I need more sun.

But I need my kids more. You can't imagine how much we have missed seeing you both more often and that adorable baby - we really need a sweet baby around to make us all smile and laugh more often. Makes up for the crap weather we have that you seem to enjoy so much and I hate with a passion.

Get home safely!!! I can't wait. By the way, the weather is changing - we are supposed to get to 80 or 85 for the next few days. My kind of weather.

marty mankins said...

If you want better meth, don't listen to Dave2. Utah has some of the best in the country.

Great list of reasons. But if you lived in Newport Beach, I'd be questioning your lack of interest in going to the beach each day.

Sounds like you are all set for Seattle.

kapgar said...

So are you saying you'll miss meth or you're looking forward to the overabundance of meth that Seattle has to offer?

Sizzle said...

As a CA transplant, I can sympathize with the whole seasons thing. Summer is here in Seattle (knock on wood). Today is GORGEOUS!

And seriously, Gorditos is DELICIOUS.

Anonymous said...

Well, one more bone of contention between us....Everett hockey...well, nice to know that whenever Tri-Cities comes to town you go home an unhappy panda.

Subscribe