2/26/2007

Go Sonics! and Take The Bigots With You

Posted by Brandon |

I know some of you don't like it when I talk about sports, but this pisses me off so much, I can't believe it and I just have to say something about it...

My hometown Seattle Supersonics of the NBA and the Seattle Storm of the WNBA were sold last year by Mr. Starbucks himself, Howard Schultz, to a group of Oklahoma City businessmen who have been on the lookout for a basketball team to move to OKC once the Hornets move back to New Orleans permanently.

Of course these businessmen claim they want to give it a go in Seattle but are pushing for massive subsidies from the state for a new arena in suburban Seattle. Sentiment against public financing is very strong and the proposal that the team recently sent to the legislature for consideration has been roundly criticized as too reliant on citizen's tax dollars.

Their proposal was, at best, a joke. At worst, it was one of the biggest slaps in the face that Seattle sports fans have ever had to endure. Basically, it is an unsupportable proposal that doesn't have a chance in hell to pass and the Sonics are pretty much certain to be gone within the next two years unless the state caves in yet again to the uber-wealthy (see Safeco Field, which was defeated by voters but passed by the state later that year).

As if all of this backstabbing and drama wasn't enough to hate these out-of-towner owners (and Schultz for selling out the city that made him rich), today The Stranger's Josh Feit dug up the fact that a couple of the principal owners of the Sonics/Storm made major contributions in 2004 and 2005 to Americans United to Preserve Marriage, an anti-gay foundation run by conservative whack-job and former candidate for president, Gary Bauer.

I think I'm going to be sick. As much as I never wanted to see the Sonics move, combine their attempted rape of Washington taxpayers with this bigotry and I am now fully prepared to let them go to Oklahoma. Just sell the Storm to a local owner (what self-respecting Storm fan can support this ownership group now?) and get the fuck out.

If somehow the state does buckle and gives them the money to stay, as long as these two continue to be a part of the ownership group, I cannot and will not contribute even one cent to either the Sonics or the Storm and I will not vote for any state representative that voted to approve their proposal.

I sure am glad that I am no longer on the payroll.

1 comments:

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

Not surprised...but I won't be seeing any of their games in OKC if that makes you feel any better?

Subscribe