9/25/2008

Commenting Help Needed

Posted by Brandon |

I'm a bad blogger, I know. I'm one of the worst commenters that there is. I read (skim) a lot of blogs everyday, but I leave few comments. Mainly it's because I just don't have time, sometimes it's because I'm lazy, sometimes it's because there are already 50 comments and I've got nothing new to add, and sometimes it's because I just don't know what to say.

I feel bad. It's not that I'm not interested. I like the people and the blogs I read. All of them have great commentable content and I want to do what good bloggers do - participate - but I struggle with it. I don't know how you all do it. You leave great, pithy comments on many, many blogs every day. It's impressive.

So, here's me missing the point completely: What I need to do is develop a stock comment just to prove that I visited. I'm flirting with "JCPenney, eh?" as an homage to Mike Birbiglia but maybe substitute JCPenney with whatever noun the subject is. That's easy, that proves I was there, that might get me a reciprocated comment.

But I'm willing to listen to other ideas. Do you have a stock comment that you like to use? Any tips that might help me expand my commenting potential?

Help a blogger out here and maybe you'll see my face appear more often on your blog. You can decide whether or not that's a good thing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way Brandon, I don't usually comment unless I have something to add to the conversation. Of course being the comment whore I am I wonder why no one comments on my posts. *sigh*

Your stock comment could be "pants suck!" - blah! :)

kapgar said...

Since you're such a good friend, I'll let you use my stock comment...

"I hate when that happens to my genitalia."

(you must include the emphasis)

Avitable said...

I only try to comment when I have something to say on the site, even if there are a ton of people who have commented.

Out of over 400 blogs that I read, this means that I might comment on 20-40 of them, max, a day.

Dave2 said...

= HUGS! =

I hope your problem/situation/rash clears up nicely and you know that there are people out there like me who care/sympathize/fear for you!

Seals said...

I'm the same way. I surely couldn't help you.

...but I might steal some of these suggestions.

Anonymous said...

I'd like you to say, "Hilly, you rock my world".

Yes, to everyone,not just me. ;)

RW said...

Do what 98% of the blogosphere does... (ahem)

O you're so great! You are just SOOOOO funny thank you for giving me so much joy in my life. You're WONDERFUL.

Like that.

Anonymous said...

lol

Brandon said...

emeraldcityguy - I'm kind of a comment whore to, that's part of the problem. That's why I need a stock comment so that that people will reciprocate.

Kapgar - That's pretty good. I might use that.

Avitable - 20-40 is pretty solid. I'm more like 2-5. But I don't read 400 blogs.

Dave2 - I like the madlibs approach, that's not bad.

ajooja - Feel free!

Hilly - I can do that. Look for it randomly on other blogs

RW - What? I've never seen that in the blogosphere. Never!

Jesse - lol

Anonymous said...

Ehm... why not just the "golden oldie": Brandon was here...

Huh?

Anonymous said...

Brandon was here works...or you could say, and i kinda stole it from you anyway..."I'm from Winnipeg...EH?"...that's either an excuse, or a statement...cant go wrong with that

Anonymous said...

I'm not awesome with making comments though I do try. I have a group of blogs that I try my best to make regular comments. If ppl post comments to my site, I feel obligated to post comments to their blogs.

I don't have stock comments but just keeping it simple is better than nothing and I think a stock comment is worse than no comment if you aren't saying anything beyond "great post, keep it up".

Good luck!

Poppy said...

Mine is: You look pretty today . / !

(Choice of punctuation.)

Unknown said...

I try to comment whenever I visit someone's site b/c I want them to know that I was "there." It's also something that just pops into my head that's actually relevant to the post. There are some people that read my blog and sometimes they'll leave these generic comments that make it pretty obvious they didn't even bother reading, so then I figure why bother commenting?

Subscribe