9/12/2007

What Brandon Likes - Under the Blacklight

Posted by Brandon |

Can I just say one thing to all of the longtime Rilo Kiley fans out there. Ha ha! Woo Hoo! The old Rilo Kiley is finally dead. Long live the new Rilo Kiley!


Ugh. There's never been a band that has given me more fits than Rilo Kiley. I was always so torn because I absolutely love Jenny Lewis' voice, it's easily my favorite female voice making music right now, maybe ever. And the rest of the band are obviously talented musicians. But their songs were SO boring. There were one or two songs from each of their albums that I really liked but other than that, it was nearly unlistenable. I felt like all this talent was being wasted on average indie music.

But then I listened to Under the Blacklight and it was as if a heavy load was lifted from my shoulders. I could finally enjoy Jenny Lewis and Blake Sennett as they were meant to be. Happy, poppy and fun tossed with a little bit of darkness. Exactly what I like. Ok, maybe the lyrics aren't as deep as More Adventurous and it's definitely more polished than anything they have ever done, but I welcome those changes with arms outstretched.

Listen Rilo Kiley fans, come off of the ledge. They have not "sold out" like most of you have suggested (this is their major label debut). Jenny Lewis is not trying to be the new Gwen Stefani and they are not "swimming uncomfortably with Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Britney Spears." That's crazy talk.

Instead they are doing what all great bands do - explore. One of my favorite bands, Eels, have made a ton of albums all completely different than the next. That's what make them great to me. Some of them aren't as good as others but I appreciate the fact that they are always pushing themselves to do new things.

And that's how I think hardcore fans should take this album. The old Rilo Kiley isn't really dead. Don't be surprised if they end up making another album after this that satisfies all of your emotional needs.

I'm going to appreciate the "new" Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight like it should be appreciated, as one of the best albums of the year.

2 comments:

Avitable said...

I'll have to check this out. I felt the same way about Rilo Kiley. Their songs have just been soooo slow and boring that it was hard to listen to.

Anonymous said...

I love her voice too...I will have to check it out.

Now, does ANYONE agree with me that Gewn Stefani DID sell out?

Subscribe