9/26/2007

Click It or Ticket, Bitch

Posted by Brandon |

Dude, I hate to bump Kristen Bell below the fold (huh, huh...that sounds dirty but was totally unintentional) but...

Something came to my attention today that absolutely blew my mind. Did you know that there are still people out there that oppose seat belt laws?

Yeah, some lunatic was ranting and raving about how seat belt laws are just another way that the government is controlling us and I couldn't believe it. So I looked into it, curious how anybody could be against seat belts, and surprisingly there are some good points made. Thankfully, I didn't find any crazy crap about government conspiracies, but instead found some information about how people drive faster and more dangerously when they wear their seat belt than when they drive without them.

But that one argument can't sway me into thinking that there shouldn't be seat belt laws. I wish that we didn't have to have a law mandating common sense, but guess what, we do or else idiots wouldn't buckle themselves up and wouldn't buckle up their kids. I'm not so much worried about the individual as much as I'm worried about their ability to do the right thing for others.

And as common sense quickly goes down the toilet, we will see and will need more and more laws to enforce it. Like talking on your cell phone while driving. I hate to need a law like that, but since I have a near daily near death experience with horrible cell phone talking drivers, I fully support a ban.

So I guess the question is, do you support seat belt laws or do I have to call you crazy? What about the cell phone ban? Are there any other common sense laws that we need?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a ride in a police car the other day (for none criminal reasons), and the policewoman driving didn't have her belt on for the whole journey.

I was very tempted to make a citizens arrest.

Dave2 said...

I find seatbelt laws to be stupid.

I always wear my seatbelt because overwhelming evidence says it saves lives... if somebody else doesn't want to wear theirs and gets in a fatal accident... well, I won't be crying because there's one less moron in the world.

Anonymous said...

I am pro seatbelt all the way...having been in an accident when I was 25 that would have killed me if not for my seatbelt pinning me in, I would not be here posting on your blog.

As far as a cell phone ban, I don't care what they do. I have blue tooth in my car so they can suck me.

Avitable said...

Yeah, I don't care about the seatbelt law, either. I'm pro-seatbelt, but I'm also pro-Darwinism.

And if it wasn't a cell phone, it would be something else. So although I think requiring a hands-free unit is a good idea, I don't think it will solve the problem of inattentive drivers.

ryan dot cooper at gmail dot com said...

I too am pro seatbelt. Good post. Most seatbelts do not have mouths and someone needs to represent them. I salute your courage to speak out on behalf of our slender friends.

http://www.mofata.com

Subscribe