8/04/2008

BBQ and Football

Posted by Brandon |

Tonight, I finally got a chance to hook up the brand new (used from Craigslist) grill today and boy is it nice. We had the BBQ two whole days without using it! What's wrong with us? Anyway, it's pretty bad ass for an $80 grill - you can cook some serious grub up on this bad boy.

I picked up a couple steaks from the supermarket to go with some corn we bought at the Edmonds Summer Market on Saturday and we got our barbecue on. I marinated the steaks in a recipe I found at Allrecipes.com. It was simply one 10.5 ounce can of beef broth and a whole bottle of BBQ sauce. Throw the meat in there and marinate for a minimum of two hours and you'll get some juicy, tasty, meaty goodness.

The only problem? I bought some of the shittiest cuts of meat I've ever purchased. My local Safeway either had steaks for $15 or crap. I bought what looked like the best cheap steak I could find, but the cut was hiding a tendon that ran through all four steaks. Yuck! It ended up being about half edible and half throw away. The parts that were edible were great, but that tendon ruined a great marinade and a solid char. That'll teach me to cut corners with the beef.

The winner, though, was the corn...Hickory Bacon Salt grilled corn. From the Bacon Salt Blog...

* 6 ears yellow corn
* 1-2 tablespoons Hickory Bacon Salt
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
* Black pepper (optional)

Peel back husks (do not remove them) and remove silk and soak corn in cold water for 30 minutes. Turn grill to high heat and lightly oil cooking grate. Melt butter and mix with Hickory Bacon Salt and pepper (optional). Peel back husks again and dip or brush each ear of corn with ¾ of the Hickory Bacon Butter. Replace husks, and place directly on grill for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from grill, peel back husks and brush with the rest of the Hickory Bacon Butter.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to eat corn in any other way. How did I ever live without Bacon Salt?

So boo to Safeway and their nasty meat, hooray Allrecipe.com for their marinade, hell yeah to Bacon Salt and their awesome grilled corn and, most of all, whooooopeeee to us for owning our very own BBQ again after three years without one.


DWP! Fantasy Football is back! - Yes, it's almost that time again. Football season is only a month away and it's time to start thinking about your fantasy teams.

Unless johnnyhongkong reads this and contacts me right away, it seems that we have an opening in the DWP! Fantasy Football league. So please, if you are interested in playing some fantasy football with a bunch of other bloggers, leave me a comment or email me and I'll get you set up. No experience necessary. We have some teams that have been playing for years and some that just got going. We'll have a live draft later in August. It's set right now for the 24th, but I don't know if that will be the final time or not.

The returning owners and teams are...

Anthony from Sink Into The Pacific
August from Girl on the Run and her team, Turbo Chic
Hilly from Snackiepoo and the Snackiesonics
Matt from Culture Kills... and the Culture Kills Lions
Kevin from Kapgar and Kapgar's Crusaders
Whit from Honea Express
Gary from Warped
RW from 1 Step Beyond and his Cranky Bastards
Replicant from CineRobot
and finally...Me!

As an added little incentive to beat me, I pledge that when I lose, I will start each blog post for the rest of that week with "I am *whatever team's* fantasy football bitch". But I don't plan on losing very often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get into the fantasy baseball/football... I just can't! I love watching football, one of my favorite things to do, but the fantasy thing just stressed me out to much haha.

Bacon salt... I fucking want that shit. I'm picking some up on Thursday, yessir, Bacon Salt Thursday is near!

Anonymous said...

I'm so stoked for Fantasy Football to start again, you don't even know. It gives me something to plot and plan then to be excited about later. My other dastardly plots always seem to fail! ;)

And ew ew ew on the vein. Just blech.

MC said...

Just before you sent the invite, I was thinking "I wonder if Brandon is running a fantasy football league this year"

Glad to be back... I have a playoff streak to defend.

Unknown said...

I'm laughing my ass off at this post with your steak with tendonitis. We have bacon salt, too, but haven't tried it on corn -- now we'll have to.

Ted is reading over my shoulder and saw your post and wants to play FF, if you don't mind that he's a blogger once removed (or he and I can be a team).

Subscribe