7/17/2007

Sandy

Posted by Brandon |

It was an absolutely beautiful evening here in Ventura. We played beach volleyball tonight with a group of people from my wife's work. It's the first time that I have played since, probably, second year of college about ten years ago. We had a blast despite barely being able to string together more than three or four hits in a row. Nobody had played in a long, long time and I think there was only one rally where we managed to get it over the net three times, that was about as good as it got.

I forgot what a workout that game is. It is so hard to move, so hard to jump and so rough on your arms if you haven't played in a while. I played rugby last night so I was tired to begin with (rugby is crazy. I honestly think that I lost five pounds last night) and now I am beat. I love it.

When I lived in Seattle, I went nearly three years without purposely breaking a sweat other than a few times riding my bike and hiking. I wasn't playing any sports or working out at all until the last six months I lived there. Now I'm doing something five or six days out of the week and I couldn't be happier. I feel 100% better than I ever did before.

One bad thing though, since I wasn't able to get to the ball quickly, I dove around a lot and now I have sand in or on every single part of my body. I just rub my head a little bit and I've got enough sand on my shirt to build a castle. I keep finding more in my ears, behind my ears, on my elbows, between my toes, in between my wedding ring and my skin, in my bellybutton, on my unmentionables.

Now I know what you are saying, I should just take a shower. But I don't function properly if I don't get a morning shower and it's kind of ridiculous to take a shower just to go to bed, so I'm trying to live with it. Plus, I keep thinking that I've got it all off of me. But as soon as I let that thought creep into my mind, I find more. I just rubbed my forehead and found a little patch leftover from earlier.

And I don't really know if one shower would help anyway. I'm sure I'll be shedding sand until next week.

2 comments:

kapgar said...

I would like either of two situations to exist in the world...

1. Overweight be the acceptable state of being; or

2. Exercise and eating right not be necessary to be or remain thin.

Who do I have to talk to in order to make one of these happen?

Anonymous said...

I feel so much better when I get a workout WHILE having fun...you know like shopping or sex or something ;).

Subscribe