12/01/2008

Good Reads

Posted by Brandon |

Recently, I've started reading at an unusual (for me) pace. The lack of cable and frequent trips to the library with Addie are making it happen. Here are just a couple things I was thinking about tonight as I read...

  • I just finished Marc Acito's How I Paid For College. Though it's written like a high school theater geek would write and that occasionally annoyed me, it's still very funny and very fun and if you are looking for something light and high school-y, I recommend it.
  • Death? is currently reading the Twilight series and she said the same thing about it's writing. But in the end, both of us enjoyed the story enough to look past that occasional annoyance.
  • I read the sequel to How I Paid For College - Attack of the Theater People - first without knowing it was a sequel. It's also a lot of fun, but it would've been better had I read the first book. Although, I don't know, maybe it would've been a letdown.
  • Dave Zirin has quickly become my favorite sportswriter. The People's History of Sports in the United States is a fascinating look at how closely politics and sports are and have always been connected. And if you think sports is just fun and games, you have been thinking wrong. This book will seriously open your eyes.
  • I think for the first time the Civil Rights Movement really hit home for me while reading The People's History. I knew a lot about it, but it was never put into a context time wise that I could really visualize. To put it into a sports context brought it home to me and made me completely realize how it didn't take place eons ago like it seems to me but just years before my birth. These horrible, terrible things were still being done in my parents lifetime and even into mine. Also, it's hard to imagine a time when athletes were politically involved in a good way, but it did happen. Anyway, what a fascinating book.
  • I finally got around to reading Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. I always thought that Fear and Loathing would be a glorification of drugs, so I was not prepared for how in the end it turns out to be a indictment of and a eulogy for the 60's drug culture.
  • I also watched the movie, and the only thing that I thought the movie lost was that feeling that this book and Thompson's experiences were really about the destruction of an era.
  • People kept trying to add me as a friend on Goodreads.com and I ignored it because I didn't feel like updating yet another review site. But I need somewhere to document these books I'm reading so I've got my account going again and if you want to add me, please do.
  • Two books that I kind of hope will be made into movies: How I Paid For College and Coupland's All Families Are Psychotic. All Families Are Psychotic is already basically a screenplay.
  • Oh, and in case you are wondering, I have not read the Twilight series and for now, I'm avoiding them. I don't want to get sucked in.

FYI - No Blog Culture Box this week. Since I took a few days off from blogging, I don't want my blog to become nothing but Blog Culture Boxes, so we'll space it out a bit this week. Plus, I have put no thought into it at all and I usually get it done on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually junked my whole GoodReads account last week then re-opened it. There were too many people I didn't know all up in my tuna salad. It's much more manageable now.

Unknown said...

Ted and I both read the Twilight series. It's a quick and easy read, though I think the first book is the best (by far). I haven't seen the film yet. Right now, I'm reading Inheritance series (the one with Eragon) and it's better than I expected it to be (Ted said it was like Lord of the Rings so i had to give it a try).

Subscribe