9/30/2006

Thursday to Saturday

Posted by Brandon |

Jury duty was easy. I just sat in a room, read half of Youth In Revolt and got out by 3:00 PM. I Didn't even get called.

We tried to play soccer on Thursday night, but Death? and I were the only ones who showed. Even the organizers didn't turn up. No email, no call, no nothing. Oh well.

Thursday night I downloaded a couple 90's alterna-pop-rock tunes but I am still longing for more. I downloaded...

Matthew Sweet - Sick of Myself - I forgot how much I liked his music. Must have more.
Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike - Great car sing-a-long tune.
Weezer - Jamie
Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue - Where the Wild Roses Grow
Counting Crows - Einstein on the Beach - I want to hate Counting Crows, but I just can't do it. I am ashamed

I also downloaded a KEXP podcast. It was awful. The new music director has taken the station and made it nearly unlistenable. It was boring before, now it's annoying and boring.

Although, because of the KEXP podcast I learned the greatest mnemonic on Friday. Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest. It's a way of remembering Seattle's downtown streets. Jefferson, James, Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, Spring, Seneca, University, Union, Pike, Pine. Too bad the song that taught me this sucks even with the points that it earned for cleverness.

Whenever I started listening to music on Friday at work, the phone would ring. Never failed. As soon as I pushed play...ring, ring, ring. I'd forget to turn it back on and no one would call. Then I'd turn it back on and sure enough, someone called with yet another stupid question.

On the way home from work on Friday I saw someone broken down so I pulled over to give him a push. Turns out he just needed some gas and he was just going to walk to the gas station across the street. Unfortunately, he didn't have any cash on him and needed to go cash his paycheck so he asked if I could give him and his little girl a ride. So I gave them a ride and then took them to get gas and drove them back to their car. It was a lot to do for a stranger but after my debacle a couple months ago, I felt I needed to do something good. Plus he turned out to be a really nice guy and he filled up my gas tank.

I laughed harder during Jackass 2 than I have all year long.

We got up early and rode our bikes downtown to the Ventura farmer's market. I love me some fresh produce. If you ever see Muscat grapes for sale, I suggest you buy some.

We also went to the Camarillo outlet mall. I need new jeans bad. However, skinny jeans are in and I can't find anything that fits. It's ridiculous. My boxer briefs shouldn't roll up when I try them on. I did get some shoes and some basketball shorts and a new backpack, so all wasn't lost.

The Huskies beat Arizona 21-10 and are 4-1. Pretty damn good, Ty. Bowling Green beat Ohio U 21-9 but they have to play Ohio State next week. Washington State lost, but they played USC tough.

Death? inadvertently had a Chinese dish at a Mexican restaurant tonight. It was awful. It sounded really yummy and Mexican on the menu, but it turned out to basically be stir fried chicken and veggies on rice with soy sauce and tortillas. Broccoli and soy sauce have no place anywhere near a self-respecting Mexican restaurant. Plus, Death? wanted a mojito and we figured that a restaurant with a full bar could make one for us. Nope. No mint. Yolanda's...welcome to our restaurant black list. We resolved to only eat out once this week, and this crappy meal was the one we ended up with.

We tried to watch Super Troopers. Maybe the meal put us in a bad mood but in the 20 minutes that we watched we laughed maybe twice. Are we missing something?

Finally, Saturday Night Live: Still not funny. Dane Cook: Now a big annoying star and still not funny. The Killers: Still kickin' ass and taking names.

4 comments:

Avitable said...

You must have been in a bad mood, because Super Troopers is hilarious. I think it takes some time to grow on you, though, because that's how it was with me.

The Killers freaked me out on SNL last night - they looked ridiculous, and I didn't think that song was really that good, either.

Janet said...

Never expected to read about 90s alterna pop and jury duty in the same post, but I suppose there's a first time for everything:)

Glad your sentence was painless!

Anonymous said...

Geez! I wish, it being like that, we had jury duty as well!

Karl said...

Oh my God. Youth in Revolt is the funniest book I've ever read! Fabulous. I've lost several copies "loaning" them out to friends.

Subscribe