7/11/2006

Olympia Murals: Marvel Comics

Posted by Brandon |

I love Downtown Olympia. It's a vibrant, happening kind of place full of cool shops, fun bars, tasty restaurants, interesting architecture and random art. It has had it's ups and downs but right now, Downtown Oly looks incredible. Almost all of the buildings are occupied, new businesses are moving in, old buildings are being renovated and the mural painters have taken over.

Some cities have murals, usually depicting boring scenes of their heritage. Olympia has some of these too, but there is also a place for more adventurous and interesting murals that better represent what Olympia is all about now.



Old School Pizzeria has played host to two of these murals, one on their old building and one on their new building. Tonight's mural (above), a detailed tribute to Marvel Comics, is on their new building on Franklin between State Street and Fourth Ave in the heart of downtown. It covers the entire side of the building standing nearly 20 feet tall and is filled to the brim with superheroes.



I'm always amazed at the amount of detail in this mural. I'm not a comic book geek, so I don't know every single character displayed, but I'm sure that they are all there. Every time I see it I find more and more heads, I never even noticed Spiderman until this time and he is huge.

I'll admit that it isn't the most original piece of artwork, neither is the other Old School mural (my personal favorite that you will see tomorrow) but it perfectly fits in with the vibe of Olympia and is so striking and so detailed that it demands your attention. It's a very unique piece of Olympia and is just another reason that I love that town.

Plus the pizza next door is really, damn good and the pinball machines are really, damn old. Pizza, pinball and superheroes, does it get any better than that?

0 comments:

Subscribe