7/05/2004

DWP! Gets Skulled

Posted by Brandon |

Down With Pants! celebrated the Fourth of July with a little blow to the noggin. The scene: Everett Memorial Stadium. The Everett Aquasox face off against the Vancouver Canadians. Batting practice has just finished and the Canadians are warming up their arms with a little long-toss. I have just finished wiping down the always dirty bleacher section and have stepped down behind the fence to greet some fans.

The always lovely and charming DWP! says "Hi guys. How's it going today?" no sooner did I get those words out than I see each of them cover their heads and duck. The first thought that came to my mind was "What, do I have that bad of breath?" But then I realized what was happening and just barely turned away and was nailed flush in the back of the head by a ball. Immediately I hit the deck as more of a reaction than anything. I was hit flush but it didn't really hurt that bad and I wasn't knocked out at all. I wasn't even cut. I popped up to my feet but was greeted by the Canadians trainer who insisted that I go see our trainer to make sure I was ok.

So for the next half an hour I sat in the trainer's room with a whole bunch of people worrying about me and asking me how I was doing. Dan, one of my bosses, came in and was talking to me and he suddenly asked me if I knew who he was. Of course I did know who he was and after a little while sitting there bored and ready to get back to work, the trainer finally let me leave convinced I was fine.

Thankfully I am fine. I've had a bit of a headache ever since but that's to be expected. I've got a pretty good knot on the back of my head but overall I took it pretty well. Plus I was lucky. If I wouldn't have ever so slightly turned it probably would have hit me square in the cheek and who knows the damage it would have done to my pretty face.

I learned that I must have a pretty thick skull because the Canadian trainer said it was quite the shot that I took and everybody who saw me get hit were really concerned. I always knew having a thick skull and a fat head would come in handy one day and today it finally paid off.

0 comments:

Subscribe