11/24/2008

Work, Or The Lack Thereof

Posted by Brandon |

We've been thinking recently that maybe it would be good to get Addie into a daycare so that she can be around other little kids. Being home all day with daddy is great, but she needs some socialization. An hour here and there of baby story time just doesn't cut it. There is a particularly good one close to Death?'s work that her co-workers use and love and we'd probably both feel comfortable sending her there.

Of course, that means that daddy would need to reenter the job market to help pay for the daycare and because, simply, that I would have nothing productive to do all day if I'm not watching her. While I'd like that for about a week, I'd be pretty bored after too much longer.

Problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I've been scouring the Craigslist listings and whatnot and nothing at all has jumped out at me. We're not in any kind of rush to get me working, so I have the luxury of taking my time and finding something that is a good fit, but what's a good fit?

My last few jobs have been in the e-Commerce field - customer service, shipping, warehouse, etc. - and while I've enjoyed those jobs, it's not what I ever really wanted to do. My "career" just kind of evolved from a job that I took when I moved to Seattle. So while I'm most qualified to work in that field, I don't really know if I want to.

What I'd most like to do is work in sports or write, but each of those has problems of their own. Sports, generally, is a massive time committment for very little pay. That was the problem when I decided against a job that would've given me an office in Husky Stadium at the University of Washington. I'm not a fresh out of college kid anymore. I can't take a job that pays nothing and live at the ballpark all season long anymore. I'm not willing to give up that kind of time with Addie.

And don't even get me started with writing. First of all, I'm not that good of a writer, so finding a writing job would be hard anyway. But with newspapers failing and the few paying blogging jobs paying peanuts, there really isn't much of a market for writers right now.

Then there's the problem of having a boss. Though my last boss was great, and really all of my bosses have been great, I don't know if I can take directions from anybody anymore. Being my own boss since April has kind of spoiled me. Not taking directions from the higher ups has been amazing. Not dealing with office politics and people's bullcrap all day....so great. (Though, my current boss - Addie - has been the toughest boss of all time, and I have to deal with her crap constantly.)

And honestly, I don't know if I can deal with the prospect of worrying about my job all the time. I have been laid off far too many times and I just don't know if I want to set myself up for yet another layoff. I'm seriously starting to get gunshy about this. With the economy like it is, I've heard of a lot of people losing their jobs lately just in the blogosphere or at least companies that people I read work for. It's not fun getting yourself entrenched in a job and then having it pulled out from under you without much warning. Trust me, I know.

So what the heck am I going to do? Perhaps I should go back to school, become a student. That's kind of like having a job. But what the heck would I study? That's a whole 'nother post in itself. I have no idea.

Luckily, like I said, I have the luxury of taking my time. Addie will be fine without going to daycare and I love being a stay-at-home daddy so it's not like I have to make a decision or settle on something I'm not excited about, but it would be nice to know what I should be looking for even. It would make it all a lot easier and a lot less confusing.

5 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

That's a tough one. I'm 42 and I still haven't figured out what career I want. After 17 years of corporate life, I have been working at home now for the past 4-5 years. No boss, just clients.

Problem is that I have a tendency to be lazy. So I've been eying the office life again. But I dunno. Not sure I can handle that gig again.

Best of luck figuring out what you want to do. Being happy and there for your family is most important.

Iron Fist said...

I've got a couple of million dollar ideas. Let's drink some beers and then figure out how to score some venture capital.

Brandon said...

BE Earl - I also have a tendency to be lazy...or at least distractable. I'd love a job working from home. I need to hook that up.

Vahid - Next time I'm in Portland, or the next time you're in Seattle or somewhere halfway like Olympia, we'll definitely have to work that out.

marty mankins said...

Back in the mid-90's, I was a stay at home dad with my daughter. I also ran my own business (setting up networks for small businesses) and would often travel to San Diego, Las Vegas and Orange County. But for when I was home, I loved it. It was a good time in my life to be with her.

So I can understand, especially if you are not rushed to go back to work. Take your time, let Obama start his administration and see where the economy goes. Then take another look.

Unknown said...

I'm not really doing what would make me ultimately happy, but like you, I'm not sure what that is so I'm just kind of staying put for now. School seems like a great idea, given this economy but the trick is figuring out what to study. I don't have any answers since I feel like I'm in that same boat.

Subscribe