8/30/2007

Bikinis and Misdemeanors

Posted by Brandon |

Two things tonight...

1. Out of respect for my wife and all of the other fine ladies that frequent Down With Pants! I rarely, if ever, post links to pictures of girls in bikinis or anything like that. But there has been an LAist post in my Bloglines for the past few weeks that is too good not to share.

These are pictures from a volleyball tournament in Manhattan Beach a couple weeks ago and they are crazy. I still have a hard time believing I live in Southern California and this happened, basically, in my backyard. There's a little something for everybody, girls and guys, to look at, so have at it. Here's the full set of 288 pictures on Flickr. Enjoy!

2. The other day my co-worker and I were talking about some of the crazy things that we did in high school. My high school years were pretty tame, especially in comparison to his, but I do have one up on him. I stole street signs like it was my business. All of my friends did and really, just about everybody I knew did. It was practically a varsity sport at our high school.

But he never stole street signs and he said that nobody he knew ever stole them. I was amazed. I thought this was a pretty typical hobby of the young male. He grew up in Oxnard while Oxnard was particularly dangerous, so maybe that explains why nobody stole signs. In Olympia, Washington it was a much easier crime to commit than I'd imagine it is in Oxnard. He's also a little bit younger than me and maybe it just fell out of style after I left school.

Either way, I wonder if anybody else used to steal street signs. Did you? If you did, what was your prize possession?

8 comments:

Whit said...

I grew up in an area named after my family and on a street named after me. I always meant to steal those the street signs where my first and last name came together, but I never did.

Dude, that volleyball stuff was awesome. I didn't know about it either.

Avitable said...

I would steal the Lamb's Barricades with the flashing light. Then, we would remove the light, tie a whole bunch together, and row into the middle of a small pond. We'd sink the lights in the bottom of the pond, and for the next six months there would be a huge blinking light emanating from the pond at night. People got freaked the fuck out!

jmack151 said...

vzxdrfMy favorite was the one Jacob ripped out of the ground with socks on his hands.....or the bathroom sign from the state park....still don't know what happened to that one

Ville said...

I had some old phone booth signs. (remember phone booths?) I also had one of those blinking barricades that avi speaks of.
Then there was a time when myself and a couple of friends decided to drive around the Ventura hillside, where all the "richies" lived and steal the symbols off of the cars. What a bunch of hoodlums.
BTW, here via Incurable Insomniac and Chasing Vincenzo.
Oxnard born and raised, now residing in Stillwater Oklahoma (don't ask)

Anonymous said...

I snagged one of those bike trail mini stop signs. Best part is we lived literally 2 blocks from the police station. It was fun.

Two of my high school buddies snagged a traffic cone once as the car was moving. Granted, the car was only going 5 mph, but still...

Kaye Waller said...

No signs, but I stole a blinking traffic cone once.

Born in Oxnard, graduated from Camarillo High School.
Friend of Ville, got here via "Chasing Vincenzo"

Barbara said...

First: Well, I don't mind a bit of eye candy on a Saturday morning - grin.

Second: I never did anything really crazy in high school. But when I was 12 my brother and I would "ambush" car doors with clumps of dirt from his Daisy air rifle.

Anonymous said...

I think street sign stealing (alliteration, woo) died out with you and your friends then because I didn't know a single person who did it in high school and I knew EVERYONE...

Subscribe