5/07/2005

Maui Adventure

Posted by DWP! Guest |

GUEST BLOGGER: Dave2 from Blogography.

Since Brandon and Death? are honeymooning in Maui, I thought it only appropriate that I share my own honeymoon adventure on the island.

But don't let the fact that I've never been married complicate matters any.

When I was in college, my friend's parents owned a condo on Maui that a group of us would get to use once or twice each year. I'm sure there are many adventures I could tell from those days, but most of them involved hanging around on the beach and drinking. A lot. But it was a trip I took over a decade later (in 2001 to be exact) where my most disturbing adventure took place.

I was on a business trip in Honolulu when I decided to island-hop over to Maui for old-time's sake. I wanted to stay in Lahaina so I could go to the Hard Rock Cafe there for lunch the next day. I arrived at my hotel very late, and wanted nothing more than to put my tired ass in bed. But when I got to the check-in counter, nobody was there, and ringing the bell didn't help. After poking around a bit, I found somebody to help me, and finally got a room. Unfortunately, when I got there, the stupid key-card would not open the door, so I had to head back down to the front desk for a new key. The guy apologized profusely for the error, and got me a new set. Second time was a charm, and the door opened right up.

Except it turns out that it wasn't the first set of keys that was wrong... it was the room number. I walked in, turned on the lights, and was treated to yelling and screaming unlike anything I had ever heard. Somebody else was already occupying the room! I quickly said my apologies and left immediately, with the woman still screaming as I closed the door.

A new room and a rough night of sleep later, I headed down to the breakfast buffet when a woman came up to me and said "I suppose I should apologize for last night." She then went on to introduce herself and her husband to me. Turns out they were on the island for their 5-year anniversary, because it was where they had originally gotten married and had their honeymoon.

Here's hoping that Brandon and Death? have a slightly less eventful stay.

0 comments:

Subscribe